Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Where to Begin?

Hello World,

Before I begin, I must give credit to my brother John for the "Adelmannia" which this blog holds.  When we were young, he would draw "Adelmannia" in the same font as Def Leopard's Pyromania album.  It was cool then, and I think it holds up.

I am taking a class to held me expand my PLN (Personal/Professional Learning Network).  The goal of the class is how to make me a better teacher.  (My student's really wanted me to take the class.  Why do you think that is?)  The problem is that I just don't know where to begin.  We have discussed twitter, blogging (which you are currently enjoying.  Enjoying alot!), and a whole host of other social media which will make me a superior educator!  The only problem is that I don't know where to begin.

We started off with Twitter.  Holy Moly!  That thing ... place?...what ever it is?...is mind blowing.  For a guy who has struggled with a reading disability his entire life, twitter is a lot of reading.  Then you throw in hash tags and at signs, so then reading is boarding on impossible.  I am not sure how to use it in my classroom.  In fact, I find it much easier to connect with members of the Track & Field world, than members of the Math world.  Maybe, like many educators, I don't have a ton of time to send on the computer.  (That dang family of mine!  Always wanting to spend time with me!  Where do they get off!)  Maybe its just a matter of spending more time.  I would love to hear about how a high school math teacher has used twitter in his or her classroom.  And I am not just talking some gimmicky use of the website, but a true technique to enhance learning.  If you know of it, please let me know.

The second tool my class has discussed is this blog, which you know by now is AWESOME!  Well maybe not awesome, but it has potential.  I have some ideas, just no ideas on how to make them happen.  This blog may get better.  But like anything, I must keep up with it.  And that of course takes me away from my family.  And my family is really cute.

So, I am doing my best to embrace all the benefits of social media.  But you have to know, I would much rather be enjoying this bright sunny day.

No comments: